Thursday, September 30, 2010

DeerFest

Tomorrow is the opening day of bow hunting season and sadly I know this.  I know this because my husband is an avid bow hunter.  He looks forward to hunting season so much, almost as much I look forward to sleeping in on the weekends.  Anyway, on the eve of opening day, I thought it was appropriate to post a little something about a little thing he likes to call DEERFEST.

Deerfest was developed 4 years ago, as a celebration of the upcoming hunting season.  For those of you that don't live in the rural midwest, hunting is big around here.  I mean BIG.  I am talking so big that when we have a camofalge spirit day at school EVERYONE dresses up.  So big that kids take off school to hunt.  So big that my local outlet mall hosts a huge sale the weekend of opening day in order to entice the deer "widows".  I think you get the picture.

Deerfest has evolved over the years from a redneck gathering into an actual fun party.  Yes, there is still camoflage involved, but now there is also really good food, 50/50 raffles, auction items, and of course, lots of friends and family members to spend time with.  This year for Deerfest we had t-shirts specially desgined by Michael's cousin, Joe.  Joe is a mural artist in Chicago ( you need to check him out, he is beyond awesome - http://www.joemillerwork.com/) and is pretty awesome at anything art related.  He designed some funny shirts for us and the Deerfest 2010 planning was under way.

Typically, I am removed from any Deerfest participating as it is NOT my thing.  But this year, I thought I would make a little something I had been wanting to try for awhile.  Behold - the Deerfest custom water bottle labels!!!

I am soooo excited that I can now make custom labels for water!  How fun would these be for a bridal shower, birthday party, or rehearsal dinner???  They were so easy to make and looked so cute. 

In addition to having the snazzy water labels, Katie at Remaking Memories also donated some cool stuff.  She made a custom magnet and 2 sets of custom coasters for the event:
So kudos to us for embracing Deerfest and all that it entails! 

Now I want to make more water bottle labels - what is your next event?  Let's make some and make your event special!

2 comments:

  1. Love Deerfest, you and Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deerfest was a great time! I'll be posting a blog about Deerfest and my trip to MI soon!

    ReplyDelete